6/7/07

Misc Updates

Well, I now have a temp job for the next 6 weeks or so. I'm working as a receptionist for a company in South Jordan. There was some confusion with the temp agency and my availability (it's so great to have them not listen to me) so earlier this week they'd told me the position went to someone else. Well yesterday I received a call asking me to come in today for a working interview. I expressed my confusion and the agency explained that the final decision wouldn't be made until after I'd done this working interview too. The HR manager just came by a few minutes ago asking if I would be ok to come back tomorrow. At least I have something to bring in income other than student loans.

The person I'm replacing is so surprised at how quick I'm picking things up. I don't want to be rude but it's not really that tough of a job. Basically I just needed to learn the phone system, which is way easy since it's computer connected, and that's about it. The other duties are typing up Fed Ex labels, sorting mail, and the other miscellaneous requests that often come to the front desk person. No copying, emails to return, faxing or anything tough like that. Nice thing too, they are ok with me bringing in a book or something if things are done and it's quiet so I might even be able to study and get paid for it.

Also, when the agency called me yesterday they said to plan on 8:30-4:30. Surprising since I don't have the job. Then they called back and clarified to come for 2-3 hours for the interview and the decision would be made by the end of the day. Well, after I got here I informed the staff what was going on, working interview and all that, and then they asked if I was staying till 2:00. A little surprising to me but that's ok. So now it's 1:30 and I'm here alone while they're doing the good-bye lunch for the receptionist till 2:00. Since I didn't know if I'd be back or not, I figured no biggie to stay longer than expected. Guess now things are all set.

Update on student loans. I was approved for 100% of what I could get for summer term. After trying to be patient, and succeeding somewhat, one of the checks finally arrived yesterday. (Now I can send off my rent check.) It's nice to have some money in the bank even if it's just loan money and also give me a little to save up for future trips, Japan, Italy, DC, Chicago....yes, all 4 are in the works....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job! even if it is temp...you can handle anything for 6 weeks...youve been my friend for almost 11 years and im sure that it had to be harder than ANY job!
xoxox