Anyway, a few days before my birthday, my mom’s Aunt Afton passed away and as it turned out, her funeral was on my birthday. Now the schedule became school, funeral & family luncheon, school. Not exactly the most thrilling way to celebrate a birthday but at least I was with family, lots of family. And I love my Mom's family to pieces!
Our family luncheon was fabulous. Aunt Afton had arranged for us to meet at her favorite place to eat, the Hidden Valley Country Club. Knowing her, not only did she have the meal paid for but I bet she even selected the menu. At the luncheon, everyone sang “Happy Birthday” to me, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings…way more family than would normally be singing to me under normal circumstances.
When my afternoon class ended I headed home. I was still not really thrilled by the day partly since I felt a bit like I’d reminded people it was my birthday (not exactly what I like to be doing on the day of) and since we’d all been together and parents away from children, I headed home to my place alone and with no plans for dinner. I don’t expect tons of celebration but at least a little bit, enough to know that I was thought of...
As I climbed the stairs to my apartment, I was feeling a little sorry for myself and not thrilled about getting my dinner then having to study. When I rounded the corner to my apartment door I found this…
Beth Anne had driving to SLC from Herriman (about 25 mins drive) to decorate my door. It really cheered my spirits to know that I wasn’t forgotten after all. Memories of college rooms being decorated came to mind. Even though the day and evening wasn’t anything like I would have planned, it turned out ok. To help the celebration feeling linger, I kept some of the decorations up for a few weeks. They’ve all been tucked away but the memory lives on! Thanks BA!
2 comments:
Glad to know you appreciated the cookies I got up and made for you that morning.
I did appreciate the cookies and enjoyed having them to eat with my lunches and after school snacks for the next few days. Sorry, I didn't mention it in my post...I should have.
Post a Comment