Picked up some extra hours at work, played a bit with friends and family, responded to some long overdue emails, attended Enrichment Night homework-guilt free, went outside for walks, called 911 to report a robbery....
My landlord knocked on my door this morning and mentioned that the store downstairs was robbed early this morning. He asked if I’d heard anything and I said that I didn’t. Not really that big of a deal, right…wrong!
Tonight I was in my living room studying and heard some loud banging or thumping below me and then an alarm went off. I gave it a minute or two then went down to see if I could find the car whose alarm was going off. As I looked into the store’s front windows I saw that the door was open a little and didn’t see any cars with their lights flashing so I went back upstairs to my apartment and called 911. I gave them what info I had and they called it in as a robbery in progress.
After about 30 minutes, I looked out my window and saw a police car in the parking lot. Feeling safer now, I headed back downstairs to see if she’d been robbed again. Sure enough, she had! The owner is bothered and upset, understandable so, but luckily no one was hurt. She did lose about $400 cash and about $6000 in merchandise in both robberies. Not sure if the police have any leads or not, didn’t really think to ask.
Now every little sound downstairs makes me wonder if I need to call 911 again. She doesn’t have a lock on her door anymore, they broke it again, and is hoping to get someone to stay the night to guard the place. It’s just so unnerving, the second robbery happened right around 9:00 pm. It’s a Friday night, if I didn’t have two tests next week, I might have been leaving my apartment to head out for the evening or run an errand right as things were happening. I’m not against excitement but this is going a bit too far.
Whoever is behind this is pretty gutsy. ALL the lights were on the store and she has big picture windows facing a busy street. Anyone driving by would have surely seen something. Not to mention hitting the same store twice in less than 24 hours. Thankfully, the cars are all untouched. I sure hope they get this figured out and it comes to an end. It makes me nervous to leave during the evening without some type of escort and I don’t like not feeling safe in my own home and neighborhood.
3/21/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like you could use some information that I work with a lot. There are no "safe" places anymore, even in Utah. Let me know if I can share some options with you, it's what I do for a living. See you at rehearsal.
so what ever happened? i have been looking for something about it on the news, but i havent even heard about the robbery.
Wow JaNae you little crime fighter! Sounds like a "rough" neighborhood huh?? Just teasin' Like your other friend mentioned we just need to be careful no matter where we live!! love ya!
Post a Comment