9/16/09

If At First You Don't Succeed...

After I was laid-off, I decided I'd better go get my Idaho driver's license. Yes, it is way past due, I just haven't had time to get it taken care of since I was working the same hours as the DMV is open.

Try 1, September 3:
I went through the county's security entrance and headed into the DMV office. I had everything, or so I thought....I didn't have anything with me showing my proof of residence.

They stated that I was welcome to use the insurance card in my car. So I headed out to get the card.

Try 2, September 3:
Back through the security entrance with the insurance card. However, the card didn't have my name on it so it wouldn't work. Even with a copy of my marriage certificate...

Try 3, September 4:
Another day and third trip through security...I was starting to feel way too suspicious by now...with a copy of my cell phone bill addressed to me. I pulled out all of the documents and they stated the photocopy of my marriage certificate was not enough, I needed the certified copy from the county.

They kindly offered to let me change my license but couldn't change my name. An option but not helpful enough since I have a flight later this month and my married name is on the ticket.

Try 4, September 4:
Back through security now with my cell bill and CERTIFIED copy of my marriage certificate. The previous 3 trips I waited a maximum of 5 minutes before I was helped. Of course this time, when I was all ready, several people were in line ahead of me. Not to worry too much, I came prepared with a magazine and began to read.

After a couple minutes I noticed the sign stating check or cash only. Yep, you guessed it, neither were with me, just the debit card.

I left the line and proceeded home without much success...again....

Try 5, September 8:
Hopefully this was my last time through security! I headed into the DMV office and brought everything with me this time, Utah driver's license, certified copy of my marriage certificate, proof of residency, AND checkbook.

Another piece of evidence I live in a small town. When I went to the counter, the employee asked how many trips I'd made. She also stated that she suspected that I'd studied and she was right, 5 trys to get my license was 4 too many.

As I left that last time, I walked out with this in my purse:



About time, in more ways than one!

2 comments:

Carol said...

How funny. Sometimes in life things just don't go the way we would like them to.
I'm glad that you finally got your license.
See you soon.

Kelley said...

Geez, and the government wants to take over HEALTHCARE to reduce RED TAPE??? We're in trouble....