Yesterday I would have made my Grandpa B proud of me....I don't have lots of memories of my dad's dad (aka Grandpa B). He was still working as a doctor when I was young and then when he retired, I was about 11, he had 2 strokes so he wasn't as active as he might have been. Plus he and Grandma lived in Cedar City and Salt Lake City, Utah and later Palm Springs, California when I was growing up so visits from Chicago were somewhat infrequent.
Anyway...my most vivid memory of Grandpa B was from when I was probably between 3 and 5. We were walking down the street I think in California (we were living there at the time) and I remember that I was walking ahead of Mom, Dad, Grandpa B and Grandma B. There were some puddles along the sidewalk. Being a typical child I would come to a puddle and stomp through it, stomp, stomp, stomp....After doing this a couple times, Grandpa came up and took my hand then showed and taught me how to carefully walk through a puddle without splashing water all over myself and those around me; "Heal toe, heal toe." “Gently.” “No, don’t splash.” “Careful.” “There you go.” “That’s right, good job.” It took me a few tries to figure out how to do it correctly while Grandpa patiently held my hand and reminded me, "Heal toe, Heal toe..." While holding his hand and doing it without splashing a couple times, he let me walk through a puddle alone again. On my own again…wanting to impress...showing what’d I’d learned…so proudly…STOMP, STOMP, STOMP….of course the adults all giggled at me. Back then puddles equaled splashing, that’s why they were on the sidewalks, wasn’t it? To this day, I think of that lesson whenever I walk through puddles and it always makes me smile.
Yesterday between work and school I stopped to fill my car. I pulled up to the pump, turned off the car, opened the door and discovered I was in a HUGE puddle. This wasn’t your average sized puddle…it was big enough to surround most of my car and I was worried that my car might sink into the depths of this puddle. Rather than restart the car and move to another pump (call me lazy or a conservationist either’s fine with me) I just carefully got out and walked through the puddle. However, thanks to Grandpa’s expert teaching the cuffs of my extra long jeans didn’t even get damp! A life lesson I’m grateful to have learned and eventually mastered…Grandpa, thanks for the memory and thanks for teaching me!
2/22/08
Vest Buttons Popping
Labels:
Family History,
Get to Know Me,
Memories,
Misc Stuff,
Random Thoughts,
Remembering
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment