12/13/07

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Had this almost finished and then managed to lose the whole thing....guess that serves me right somehow....

Though I think I did this in an email some time ago, it’s still fun to share. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this time of year!!! It's my favorite holiday and has been for years-school breaks, the music, shopping, treats, gift giving, sales, colors, decorations, lights, focusing more on the Savior, what's not to like? Here's a little info on my Christmas memories...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. I love wrapping gifts.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Um, I don’t have a traditional tree, my apartment is much too small. I do have an artificial pink one on my desk at work and a silver, metal one with about 9 ornaments on it, at my house. Given the choice, I’d probably select a pre-lit artificial, I love the smell of a real tree but not having to deal with the lights sounds so worth it.
3. When do you put up the tree?
No tree (see #2). I do decorate my house though. Since I live alone I get to put up the decorations anytime I want. It’s been as early as the first weekend in November but rarely later than Thanksgiving weekend.
4. When do you take the tree down?
No tree (see #2). The decorations go down as they go up, whenever I’m ready and after that point, once I find the time. One year they were up until March.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Ugh, the thought of it makes me gag.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I can’t remember a favorite one but my most memorable would have to be the purple, pastel cassette/radio player when I was about 15. I really wanted it, had snooped and found it and told Lynette. On Christmas morning there was no box close to its shape so I was pretty bummed. As I attempted to open Lynette’s gift I was informed I had to save hers for last. When I was finally able to open it there was a note sending me elsewhere in the house where I found another gift. She’d sent me on a scavenger hunt from the basement to the loft and I had to come back to the living room before I opened each clue. The last gift was the radio. Yep, it was from her and she was so crushed that I’d found out, she “punished” me by making me run all over the house. I don’t remember being super happy about running all over but I’ve been very good about not snooping ever since. I still have the radio and don't plan to ever get rid of it. Lesson learned!
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Is the Pope Catholic? I have 17 up in my apartment this year and that’s not counting the nativity ornaments I have out too. Plus I have at least 5 more sets still in storage.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
I’d have to say my husband. He never says anything to me about what he wants or needs, course I don’t know who he is so that could have something to do with it. I’d have to say my dad. He buys whatever he wants and often it’s right after he’s given the hint about it.
9. Easiest person to buy for?
My husband, he never complains about anything…hee, hee…just couldn’t resist. Probably my sisters, our tastes are pretty similar so if I’d like it, chances are good they will too.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Let’s see…the Barbie BBQ set when I was in high school (no, I wasn’t still playing with Barbies then), the orange fluorescent, plaid, flannel shirt (I think that one was mine), or the makeup kit (that’s never been used for anything other than Halloween or flashback parties)...toss up as to which was the worst. Saddest thing about these, they were all from the same person just different years!
11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail cards. I don’t send them every year (lately about one every 5-6 years) but when I do, they go out by mail. I have sent an e-card Christmas card occasionally but don’t really count that as a “real” Christmas card, more for kicks and giggles.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Toughie. I don’t really have one, have-to-watch-every-year favorite but a few I really like are: “White Christmas” “It’s a Wonderful Life” "Holiday Inn" “Miracle on 34th Street” (The oldie versions, no remakes for me and in black & white.) “The True Story of Santa Claus” “The Santa Clause” (The first one).
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Better question, when am I not shopping for Christmas? I spend much of the year thinking about what to make and/or give. I think some of my gifts this year were purchased in March. Gotta buy when I find something, the price is right and have the money.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I don’t think so but I know in the past I have received at least one from Ann and one from Deborah.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Our traditional Christmas Breakfast! Yes, Mom, I do want it this year even though we’ll be small in number…Also, ham and funeral potatoes are often served this season in our family plus Mom's orange rolls...mmmm....Hope the kitchen's done by the time I get home... Gingerbread and cinnamon almonds are other seasonal favorites
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Grew up with colored lights on the tree but am growing fonder of the clear light look.
17. Favorite Christmas song?
To quote from Ever After: “I could no sooner pick a favorite star in the heavens.” My short list of favorites would be 10-15 songs long and I’d still miss some favorites. And each season another one or two get added to the favorite list after performing them with choir.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Travel more often than not. Staying home would imply Christmas alone so off I go somewhere to celebrate with others.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
You bet I can: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, & Blitzen. (Did you know that the reindeer didn’t have names, nor was there a fixed number, until the poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas?) Have much of the poem memorized and want to memorize the whole thing. I’m a reindeer purist so Rudolph doesn’t belong in the list above.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
No tree (see #2, gee, this is getting a bit redundant). We never had either but did have a glass tree topper we’d always use. I bought one years ago that I haven’t used yet (again, see #2).
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas morning for sure. We’d beg and plead to open one on Christmas Eve but were always denied. Thanks for that one, Mom & Dad!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
The cold, slick roads, Utah's inversion, darkness at 4:00 in the afternoon, and driving around any store's parking lot 1000 times and still having to park in Egypt! But even those things are somehow forgotten and worth it each Christmas.
24. Do you buy gifts for your pets?
No pets but even if I did, I would not be buying gifts for them or getting something from them.
25. Have you ever been Christmas caroling?
Yes, when I was a teenager but I don’t think I have been since then. However, if you count my choir’s Christmas concerts then yes more recently than my teen years. (BTW, concerts are Sunday Dec 16th, 7:30 pm, St. Thomas More in Sandy and Sunday, Dec 23rd, 8:30 pm, Assembly Hall on Temple Square. Yes, I’m using my blog as a shameless plug. It’s my blog and I’ll plug if I want to, plug if I want to, plug if I want to. You would plug to if it happens to you…)
26. Hot chocolate or hot apple cider?
Both! Egg Harbor’s caramel apple cider…..mmmmmm….hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream…mmmm….flavored hot chocolate….mmmm….

Ok, I tag Brenda & Kelley (both need to update their blogs a bit if you ask me), Beth Anne (since she loves Christmas enough she’d do it anyway), my sisters (even though their answers might be very similar to mine) and anyone else who might want to share some Christmas memories.

3 comments:

ba and the boys said...

about 1/4 of the way down i had already pasted and copied this to my blog to do! go ahead and check out my answers. and my holiday videoclips! a new one everyday (except sundays...even i need a day off!)
xoxo
ba

Jennie said...

how fun! i recently did this on my blog too! it was really great to learn more about your favorite christmas memories!

oh... and love the comments about your husband! what a lucky man!

JaNae said...

Jennie, I must confess, I copied it from your blog...Here's hoping my hubby and I are equally lucky!