3/9/07

Early DST

Almost every year I recognize that first evening, after months of short winter days, I drive home from work and need to wear my sunglasses. That day marks the hope warmer and sunnier days which will be returning after the winter blahs. I realize that I won't need to struggle to keep myself warm. (I'm one who is easily cold and I often stay cold for hours. Sometimes I even wear socks on my feet when I sleep in the summer months. Why I still haven't moved to warmer temperatures I just don't know.) Not long after that noteworthy day I start mentally preparing to pull out the capris and sandals. My toes and feet get pampered in preparation as well. So you know that I'm looking forward to this weekend's early daylight savings change!

Unfortunately, this year's change comes with such mixed feelings. It's like Y2K all over again. I get the need for updates and know that they will make my life much easier after the clocks change but it's a bit of a pain to prepare. I received an email to put an update on my pda which I downloaded and attempted to do. Guess I'm missing something else from my bargain pda (it was free with a computer purchase) because I received an error message when I ran the required program. Now I have to worry about losing all that info or having to purchase a new one after the time change. Luckily my info's updated on my computer but if that blitzes too...

Then, when I get home tonight my vcr is off by several hours. I guess it was 10+ hours ahead because it said it was 4:24 am something but I had walked in the door about 7:40. How does it get off 10½ hours? I figured there was a major power outage or something but my caller id was normal and it usually has power outage on it if that happens. Also, how does it get off within the minutes?! I don't even want to spend time pondering that one.

So I figure I'll use the auto-set and reset the clock. Well when that finishes (after a few attmepts which too much longer than they should) it's still off. So I decide to reset it manually, well even the date is off. So rather than being 10+ hours ahead, it's like 4½ days behind! I love our technology but sometimes it really does make me nuts.

Now I worry that when I wake up Sunday morning there will be complete chaos as a result of the time change. I'm so not a morning person and church is at 9:00 am Sunday so adding stress & confusion to my morning schedule may completely stress me.

Maybe this early change isn't such a great thing after all....Course, if it's truly like Y2K I suppose nothing major will happen and all will be as it should be. Guess we'll all know for sure in a couple more days.

No comments: